08 Jun 2021 — Seven profitable initiatives are set to speed up innovation within the aquaculture sector following choice in EIT’s Meals’s sustainable aquaculture competitors. They concentrate on matters together with optimizing the shelf lifetime of seafood merchandise, sourcing sustainable tuna, and eco-friendly techniques for fish well being administration.
The aquaculture sector is “the quickest rising type of meals manufacturing,” in accordance with the Meals and Agriculture Group of the United Nations.
Whereas aquaculture merchandise total (together with imports) signify 25 % of EU consumption of seafood, EU aquaculture merchandise signify solely 10 % of EU consumption, says the European Fee.
The chosen initiatives will make progress within the following areas:
- Decreasing meals loss and waste by extending the shelf lifetime of seafood merchandise whereas rising product security and high quality.
- Enhancing product high quality, fish welfare and decreasing the probability of illness.
- Producing high-quality and accessible sustainable feeds.
- Preserving marine biodiversity and ecosystems.
- Reworking aquaculture right into a round type of meals manufacturing.
- Rising the resilience and competitiveness of the EU aquaculture sector.
- Strengthening collaboration amongst stakeholders and addressing abilities gaps.
Fishing for options
The EU Farm-to-Fork Technique underlines the potential of farmed seafood as a supply of protein for meals and feed with a low-carbon footprint.
“Aquaculture is a crucial a part of the answer,” says Mercedes Groba, innovation program supervisor at EIT Meals.
“Our promising innovation initiatives current a collaborative strategy to fulfill the aims of the European Inexperienced Deal and to rework the aquaculture business right into a sustainable type of meals manufacturing.“
EIT’s sustainable aquaculture competitors launched final December to strengthen the innovation portfolio of its 2021-2023 Enterprise Plan and to broaden its associate neighborhood.
A complete of 85 organizations from inside and out of doors the EIT Meals neighborhood participated within the competitors. Of those, 32 challenge proposals have been submitted for analysis in opposition to their potential influence to fast-track sustainability inside aquaculture.
EIT meals is the world’s largest Agrifood Innovation Ecosystem supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Expertise (EIT).
The European Fee acknowledges aquaculture in its current strategic pointers as an necessary contribution to the battle in opposition to local weather change, the discount of air pollution and the safety of ecosystems. It will also be a part of a extra round administration of sources.
The victorious seven
The profitable initiatives from EIT Meals’s sustainable aquaculture competitors are:
1. Sustainable Seafood Processing (SuSeaPro) – will develop novel processing applied sciences that stretch the shelf lifetime of seafood merchandise and don’t depend on components or warmth remedy to cut back meals loss and waste from farm-to-fork. The challenge will even enhance meals security and improve client notion by decreasing the microbial progress of dangerous pathogens.
Undertaking Consortium: SuSea (The Netherlands), the College of Aarhus (Denmark) and the Agricultural College of Athens (Greece)
2. Subsequent Tuna: Making a Sustainable Tuna Trade – will create the primary sustainable European supply of tuna by reproducing Atlantic Bluefin Tuna in a land-based, eco-friendly recirculating aquaculture system. The challenge will contribute to the preservation of Atlantic Bluefin Tuna and extra extensively, defend the wildlife of our oceans and seas.
Undertaking Consortium: Subsequent Tuna GmbH (Germany), The Spanish Institute of Oceanography (Spain), Wageningen Livestock Analysis (The Netherlands) and Seafarming System AS (Norway)
3. Cewatech: A round financial system feed ingredient for farmed salmon – will develop a fish feed for salmon that comprises protein from recycled wastewater within the starch business. The challenge will assist the pure protection mechanisms of salmon by supporting their primary organic capabilities whereas stopping illness. The fish feed shall be made out of a sustainable fungi-based protein to switch the usage of fishmeal and soybean meal.
Undertaking Consortium: Cewatech (Sweden), Technical College of Denmark (Denmark) and Matis (Iceland)
4. Breeze: An eco-friendly system for fish well being administration – will allow the profitable scaling of sustainably managed fish farms, to fulfill the rising demand for wholesome proteins. It goals to carry to market a residue-free prevention and management system for sea lice administration, to contribute to elevated resistance to illnesses, whereas rising consciousness of animal welfare and minimizing environmental influence.
Undertaking Consortium: Aqua Pharma Group (Norway), Pulcea (UK), College of Stirling (UK) and the Norwegian College of Science and Expertise (Norway)
5. AGAPE: Aquacultural World AI Platform for Europe’s Expertise Passport – AGAPE represents an AI-based collaborative platform. This platform addresses the EU aquaculture market, academia, customers and analysis ecosystems. AGAPE is first in bringing an modern mannequin of interplay between stakeholders. It’ll broaden the neighborhood on abilities, capabilities and competencies, globally and in real-time.
Undertaking Consortium: Milcoop BC (Italy), Federpesca (Italy), Gargano Pesca Consortium (Italy), the College of Peloponnese (Greece) and Focos (Germany)
6. Delta Futuro: A shellfish juvenile manufacturing mannequin – is an optimized sustainable shellfish farming system that goals to ensure the well-being of shellfish juveniles and guarantee meals safety for future customers. The challenge will reply to the shortage of high-quality manila clam seed by scaling up hatcheries and enhancing seed availability for farmers.
Undertaking Consortium: Delta Futuro (Italy), Biores Soc Coop (Italy) and Basis Seashell (The Netherlands)
7. Simply Add Water: Using world-leading know-how to attenuate environmental influence and maximize fish welfare of farmed salmon – will develop Atlantic salmon in recirculating aquaculture techniques (RAS), all through the EU. The challenge will purpose to broaden and commercialize its know-how that improves animal welfare and product high quality and accommodates many fish species throughout a number of geographical places.
Undertaking Consortium: FishFrom Ltd. (UK), College of Trento (Italy), College of Bologna (Italy) and Hub Innovazione Trentino (Italy)
Constructing a big community of collaborators
On account of the competitors, 18 new companions will even be becoming a member of EIT Meals to broaden and strengthen its neighborhood in aquaculture.
“Business companies don’t at all times get the prospect to fulfill and collaborate with academia, however by means of the EIT Meals community we’ve discovered the proper companions to handle one of many formidable challenges in rising fish in recirculating aquaculture techniques,” says Andrew Robertson, director of FishFrom, one of many seven profitable initiatives.
In different strikes, EIT Meals and the agrifood-tech enterprise capital fund PeakBridge launched a new seed fund for European agrifood-tech start-ups in April.
In Could, EIT Meals entered into partnership with the brand new European Carbon+ Farming Coalition to decarbonize the European meals system.
Edited by Missy Inexperienced
To contact our editorial staff please e-mail us at
When you discovered this text useful, chances are you’ll want to obtain our newsletters.
Subscribe now to obtain the most recent information instantly into your inbox.